Friday, August 29, 2008

Once bitten, twice shy - okay maybe a dozen times bitten, forever outraged.

I hear Jeremy in the other room announcing to his grandparents that his "yankee wife got herself into some chiggers".

Well yes I suppose I did. I couldn't tell you how I did seeing as the extent of my outdoorsy activities as of late has been dinner on the deck of some friends. I didn't venture out into the trees to climb with Jordan and I didn't climb under, around or next to the deck. Just sat unsuspecting at the table while I was silently assaulted.

I know nothing of this chigger beast. I am indeed a yankee wife. Imagine my surprise.

I have a dozen little nightmares on my ankle that have kept me up long into the night. I tried vinegar, After Bite, hydrocortisone, Benadryl, alcohol, nail polish,wearing socks, not wearing socks, sheer knuckle whitening will power but to no avail. . . .

I thought earlier today that I'd post a picture of my poor little ankle, afraid that somehow the horror would be lessened by the limitations of the written word. So I took a few pictures (all of which made my heel look 4 times it's actual size, oddly enough) and thought maybe tonight I'd detail my struggle here for you.

Then I googled "chigger bites" and discovered how repulsive the sight of someone else's welted, burning, itchy, swollen foot and/or leg was and decided I'd spare you. I am not a person uncomfortable with feet. I like feet just fine. No weird phobias or neurosis here - at least not when it comes to feet and ankles. But, well, eww.

Think you have a pretty strong stomach? Try a google image search and let me know how you hold up. The combination of badly scarring flesh and the magnified image of the menacing little mite that caused the damage is just a little too much for me.

So all of that is to say. Dammit man, I met a chigger or two or three and I do so hope our paths never cross again.

You can thank me for sparing you the photos later. And for those of you who are oddly and grossly intrigued. . .. google images should more than satisfy.

3 comments:

The Brown Family said...

i wish i had a jesus band aid left to send to you. the healing power of jesus would take the itch away.

:)

Kristi said...

Chiggers get the Yanks, too, my friend! Up in northwestern Illinois in the cornsoybeanlandfarmcountry, chiggers were a bane of my childhood summers. I think you can get 'em in the Chicago 'burbs, too, if you roll around on untreated grass enough.

Hehe. Jeremy calls you his Yankee wife. Hilarious, you two.

Family Bazaar said...

who'd of thunk? chiggers and yanks.

i never met a chigger before. never heard of a chigger before. maybe my forays into suburban grass left me hard pressed to find untreated grass. or maybe i just didn't stay and roll long enough.

good to know though.

jeremy's farm days were marked with sweaty little waistbands and socks full of chigger bites too.