Friday, August 15, 2008

A call for helmets and oven mitts



The following post is told in flashbacks, so if you have sustained any brain injuries or have trouble with the space-time continuum, then discontinue reading now.

The Latest Incident
I got the call yesterday at work.
"Sedona hit her head and it is like swelling faster than like...it is swelling really fast. What should I do?"
This call does not surprise me. Why? Because head injuries are what we do best in the Nulik house.

The Previous Incident
Just ten days previous to this Sedona and I were at the park having a nice time on the swings.
"I'm going to do a new trick, Daddy," she says.
"No...no tricks today," I say.
However, this warning was too late. She had already released the chains and commenced her attempt to fly. This attempt culminated in a dive that would have made Olympic judges proud.
Several hours and a few puking bathroom visits later, we had found ourselves in the warm confines of the Lake Saint Louis Emergency Room. CAT scans proved what we already knew...no concussions...just mild stupidity.

The Walking Through Doors Incident
However...not even this episode surprised me...why? Because only several weeks previous on a trip to Chicago, Jana thought she would try to be like Patrick Swayze in Ghost and go through a glass backdoor.
After failing to shape shift around the door, we ended up in exotic Central DuPage Hospital. No brain scan necessary here. After an ER fee, they told us to "Be careful." Apparently, I listen to doctors like I listened to my parents in high school.

The Original Incident?
Since the phone call yesterday, I have done some serious soul-searching..."Gully, Jeremy...that is 3 head injuries in 1 month. What is going on here?" Then, the memory of my childhood came to mind. Wow, I hit my head a lot. If my fallible memory serves me incorrectly, then I come up with at least 3 good sized concussions. This does not count the time I fell out of the tree house or when I jumped off my friend Steve's bike pegs. I can't imagine the worry that this caused my parents.
I am reminded of this phrase, "The sins of the father are visited upon the son." Apparently this applies to daughters and wives as well. God is not gender specific with the whole son thing.

Update On the Most Recent Head Injury
Sedona is fine. After another set of brain scans we have found the same thing. She has a mild case of being related to her parents.


Watch for more updates and, if possible, please send some helmets and oven mits. As head of the household, I would like to protect the other heads in the household by instituting a "Helmets must be worn at all times" policy. The oven mits are just a precaution. I wouldn't want anyone's eyes to get poked out. All helmets are welcomed, but ones that include a face mask are preferred.

- Jeremy

No comments: