Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Food Wars

In a galaxy not all that far away . . .


I never knew such discrimination existed in the world of grape selection.
  • I don't like them when they are cracked open a little
  • I don't like them when they are too dark purple
  • I don't like them green everyday, just on some days
  • I don't like them if they aren't cold
  • I don't like them unless they are wet

And you probably think I'm exaggerating. Oh, if only I was.

As if the older ones weren't particular enough, Sedona is flexing her independence this week and embarking on a hunger strike of sorts. It seems that the only food allowed to enter her mouth is food that she directly handles in some way. This eliminates oatmeal, yogurt, any form of processed or home-made baby food leaving Cheerios, bread, bananas, strawberries and melon.

I was simply unprepared for this act of autonomy. Had I been informed before I did the grocery shopping for the week that this was on the horizon I could have bought some more suitable finger foods. As it is, though, I was out of the loop.

I'll admit it.

I sat with an 11 month old holding her hands out in front of her, shaking her head adamantly that she simply would not eat anything presented on a spoon and out of desperation or maybe exhaustion - I slopped it in her hands. She did, in my defense, eat it.

My time here is cut short as we've entered into negotiations over Blow Pops and naptimes.

still,

Jana

No comments: