Monday, April 19, 2010

Nit - Pickah!!

I have never fully appreciated the term "nitpicking". That is, never until today. Now that I have actually picked a nit. I get it.

It is tedious. It is disgusting. And it seems futile. It requires meticulous, unwavering attention. Commitment. Determination. And obsession to the point of mania. And disgust. Minute and unjustified (so says Webster).

Did I mention disgust?

You guessed it. One among us has been infested (INFESTED. This is the terminology used the world over, apparently.) by none other than Pediculus humanus capitis. You may know these pests as the ever elusive, head lice.

Disgust.

Infestation.

But all the literature warns not to freak out. I wonder if ever the writer of such advice had stared into his (presumably,because after all the majority of scientific fact and literature was penned by men, right?) child's scalp to see things scurrying around. Reproducing willy nilly all over the child.

Disgust.


But I did it. Not only did I stare. I sectioned and lathered and rinsed and sectioned and lather and rinsed. And picked. And picked. And picked.

I spent the better part of 4 hours. 4 HOURS. combing through Sedona's long, tangled, long, blond, LONG, hair to remove what are affectionately called nits/lice. We laughed. We cried. We picked. Minute and unjustified. They had no business being there. But I did it. My child, my love, my dearest, is now nit free once more. All is right with the world. (Well, except for the fact that her stuffed animals are staring sadly out of plastic bags, awaiting the demise of their likely passengers). But nevertheless, our home has been restored to justice and order.

And I'm looking for my super hero name. Some preliminary ideas:

Ghost Face NitKillah
Ghost Face NitPickah
Stone Cold Steve NitBeGone
Super Bada** Lice Nixin Momma
Lice Ends to Kill
Chuck Norris


So it's a work in progress. (shrug)

What can you come up with?

No comments: