Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Man of the house

Jordan informed me recently that when Jeremy isn't home, HE is the man of the house and not simply a child. Those of you aware of my own gender politics of course recognize the absurdity of this claim falling on my ears. I did my best to explain that simply being male does not grant you special status in our home. We talked about shared roles of the adults in this family and about the societal notion that male voice usurps female voice and the inherent injustice of this practice.
Just when I thought maybe some of it was ringing a bell (after all he's only been hearing this stuff most of his life) he responds, "Well, yeah, I know all that but when he isn't home then somebody has to be the man of the house."
sigh.
I gladly assume the role.

(how do you demonstrate equality and the importance of family as team, partners as equally involved, equally important and licensed members of said team etc etc when what you really want to say - just to avoid confusion - is "When Daddy isn't home, Mommy is in charge. When Daddy is home, Mommy is in charge. Any questions?" Ahh sweet hypocrisy.)

No comments: