Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"C'mon, pal"

There is this moment that I keep finding myself in when my darling little child is suddenly an actual person. An actual kid. An actual 8 year old with a personality entirely his own and friends who find him darling. Sure, I have always found him darling, he's my baby, but it is decidely different when you see the way your child, your baby, interacts with his peers.

Jordan has a friend over this afternoon. A friend he introduces to others as his "like practically brother we're such best friends". And while I finished my lunch in the silence of naptime the boys were playing dragons and dinos in the living room. I overheard them discussing how long they had to play (3.5 hours) and then Jordan says, "We better get to it. Because - - well time sure passes fast when you're playing with a good friend."
Somebody get the crackers! Cheesy!! But darling, of course.
His counterpart responded with an unsuprsied "yeah, you're right" and they went about their dragon pretending ways.

Then they came to ask for a snack just a minute ago and Jordan was making some fairly obnoxious noise with his cheeks full of air and his friend says "Jordan could you please quit?" and Jordan responds "Sure. Sorry. pal" then nudges him with outstretched arm on elbow. Think - ol' buddy, ol' pal, ol' chap nudge.

and they left the room with a quiet and smiling "C'mon, pal".

I can hardly contain myself just about now. Not sure if I'll laugh at the cheesiness or cry at the aging of my baby.

No comments: